Sunday, August 23, 2009

Flashback: Our First Date

The last post in my flashback series, Our First Date, was going to be posted next weekend, on the anniversary of our first day, but I just couldn’t wait that long. I have some projects that I worked on this weekend that I would like to post about and I don’t want this post hanging over my head. Here it goes again, cue wavy flashback lines and music…

Finally, Sunday arrived in all its glory. Mr. Tal was picking me up around 12:30, so I worked meticulously to make my appearance look wonderful with just the right amount of casual. He arrived pretty close to the time he said he would and he came to the door walked me to his truck and opened the door for me. As we drove to the bus stop it seemed very strained and quiet, this continued for the duration of the bus ride to the German-American Festival. We talked a little but for the most part we were silent and observant. When we finally got to the festival I paid for the bus ride myself, which irritated Mr. Tal. We had to get our IDs checked at the gate if we wanted to drink and I forgot mine, pity because it may have broken the ice a little more. Finally we got some food and beverage, which I let Mr. Tal buy for me and sat down. I think this is the moment that the entire date turned around for us. As we were eating I noticed that Mr. Tal had gotten some green ink on his nose from the hand stamp that was used to identify he had paid for his entry. I giggled a little and pointed it out to him; he smiled sheepishly, wiping it off with a napkin and a laugh. From that moment on, it was just easy. We walked around and talked, laughed and ate some more. When we realized there wasn’t much more to do we went to wait for the bus. We both knew we didn’t want the date to end but I wasn’t sure how to vocalize that. As we sat in the grass talking Mr. Tal asked if I would like to go catch a movie or something, I eagerly agreed to the suggestion.

When we got back, instead of going to the movies, we ended up going to his apartment to watch a movie. I believe that nothing good was playing in theaters at the time. He had me pick a movie from his DVD collection, while he built a couch for us out of blankets. (If you remember correctly, he only bought his couch the night before, so it still wasn’t there). So we sat, or kind of laid down, and watched a movie together. By this point, I knew I liked this guy but the chemistry element hadn’t been explored. I needed to hold his hand or maybe even kiss him to know if that chemistry was there. I held my hand out awkwardly trying to bait him. It didn’t work. We then went out to dinner, then back to his place. By this time, our date was about 7 hours and it wasn’t over yet. We watched another movie, again I held my hand out, and eventually he took it. It was like sparks, amazing. We watched the movie, held hands and talked a bit more. I don’t quite remember how it happened, but somehow we got close enough to kiss and I went for it. BAM! That was it. I was hooked. He eventually took me home around 12:30 that night; when he dropped me off he kissed me again and asked when he could see me again (!!!). Our first date lasted 12 hours, so I like to say it was 3 dates rolled into one. When I walked into my apartment, Miss Ann looked a little relieved (I think she thought that I had been kidnapped and stuffed into a trunk), she asked me how my date was and I told her, “I think he is the one.”

So there you have it, the beginnings of the Tals. It’s not the greatest story ever, but it’s our story, which is what matters to me.

Up next, some project posts.
Tune in next time for more tales of a DIY Bride.

No comments:

Post a Comment