Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Alternative to bridesmaid bouquet

When I decided to do something else other than a bouquet for the bridesmaids to carry, I had a lot of trouble finding things on the interweb, most ideas included fans and parisols and that doesn't exactly work with a spring wedding in Ohio, so I came up with my own alternative. I decided the girls would carry clutches but the clutches would have a silk flower corsage on the front of it so that it would have a bouquet look and feel but not be a bouquet. So here is what I came up with (I appologize for the crappy cell phone pictures, I don't have a camera right now):


Ridiculously simple but it looks nice. So here is what I did, but anyone could could create something very different, it's just a matter of what look you are trying to achieve. Here are the supplies I used:


Flower of my choosing taken off the stem, ostrich feather, floral tape, glue gun. Not picture is the bar pin that I glued onto the back of the flower once it was complete and the scissors. From here it was so easy. All I did was pinch a bit of the ostrich feather together and cut it off the main feather. Then I used hot glue and floral tape to secure the feather grouping together. From there I glued the grouping onto the back of the flower. I repeated this until I thought that the flower looked good. It was seriously that easy. Once I was done I glued the back of the flower to a bar pin, which in turn will be used to secure the flower to the clutch. Obviously there are so many options for this. You could use smaller flowers in a groups, add pearls, rhinestones, whatever. It's whatever you want and a great alternative to bouquets. Here's the clutch I used and the clutch with the flower attached:

This is the simple look I was going for, I could have just left the flower alone but I think the feathers add just a little bit of sass. The girls will then carry these either clutched in their hand  or by the strap that comes with the clutch, I'm not sure, I have to see someone else carry them and Mr. Tal isn't a willing volunteer. I think it will look nice and it is handy. I can make sure someone has some tissues for me! Best of all after the ceremony the girls can remove the flower and have a clutch to hold any necessities for the night.

Does anyone else have alternatives to bouquets? Please share, I'm sure I'm not alone in wanting something different.

Tune in next time for more tales from a DIY bride.

No comments:

Post a Comment