Friday, April 30, 2010

Being enviromental

I miss blogging, I really do, but I couldn't in good onscious just sit on my backside writing my musings while there was literally no room to walk in our apartment. It took over 4 days and I'm still not completely done, but I finally have our place into some semblance of order. Here's how it went down, all of our shower gifts and gifts from the wedding, we haven't been using until thank you notes were at least written, kind of a reward system. Therefore all of those gifts have been sitting in a pile taking up space in my dining room. Combine those gifts with all the wedding crafty stuff, along with pillows, blankets and a myriad of stuff from the sleepover the night before the wedding and you have zero visible floor space in our tiny apartment. So I spent the last four days writing thank you notes and cleaning and organizing this place which I finally got to be a livable space again.

I have to say that I fancy myself a bit of an environmentalist, I turn off all lights when they aren't in use, we use the compact fluorescent light bulbs, I try to recycle and I try to find a use for something before I throw it away. It's not big level of environmentalism but I like to think it helps. This is where all of our old crap comes into play, see we had pots and pans, a blender, glasses etc. We had all that stuff but it's cheap-ola items from when I first moved out and from (gulp) Mr. Tal's college days, so most of our gifts were to replace those items. While cleaning I had a rather large pile of stuff that I couldn't really see throwing out because even if it is cheap-o a lot of it is still usable. It happens to be quite a lucky coinkidink that little sisters A and E are getting an apartment this summer! So all our old items can be re-used in their apartment, which makes me quite happy, A and E can save a bit of moolah and I don't have to throw away anything (tho, admittedly I probably would have donated most of it to Good Will).

I promise that I will start my recaps of the wedding shenanigans soon, we got our sneak peak picture from our photographer today so I anticipate having the rest of our wedding photos soon.

Tune in next time for more tales from a DIY bride.

No comments:

Post a Comment