Wednesday, June 10, 2009

DIY Workout

Yeah, it's kind of a weird post title, but roll with me for a little bit.

I'm a fan of fitness, I mean, I like to watch sports, I like throwing the dog a ball or Frisbee, and I love my little jogs from the couch to the kitchen. OK so as you can see, I don't do a lot of what society would call "working out." Mr.Tal, however, is like Clark Kent, geeky on the outside with a body like a Greek statue underneath. I like what fitness has done for him. I find it quiet yummy in fact.

Now, I'm not saying I'm overweight, not even close, but I do have some squishy bits that I'd enjoy trimming up. I think some brides feel this at one point or another. However, unlike other brides I've read about, I lack motivation. Mr.Tal likes to say I get bored easily, which is true. I'm a fan of the whole working out at home, I like the little workout kits and DVDs. However, when I get a new workout method, I end up chucking it in the pile with the rest of my former "methods" because doing the same thing daily bores me to tears. It doesn't help that I'm not really unhappy with how I look, I just want to tighten and tone.

All this was true until last week. I tried on my dress and it was *ahem* a bit snug. That wasn't so big a deal, the major deal breaker happened after the dress snugness was stepping on the scale and seeing that I'm only 5 pounds behind Mr.Tal. That sent me into tears for an hour, and finally pushed me to make the changes my life has needed for a while now. I knew the healthy eating bit, Mr.Tal is like a nutritionist in his own right so that is actually easier for me. I knew automatically that the difficult thing would be finding a work out that worked for me. In steps my Greek statue, with a grand idea, "Why don't you try EA Sport Active for the Wii?" he says.

That was the first thing I did the morning after my scale made me cry. Now I was a doubter, I had tried Wii Fit, and while it was fun, it wasn't the workout I was looking for. I had little faith in this system but I knew another DVD wouldn't do it for me. I brought it home, stuck it in the Wii, and went ahead with the 30 day challenge. Wow, I have been using this for a full week now and it is a great workout. Not only does it switch up the activities everyday, I can also build my own workout if I choose, yep, DIY workout. (You didn't think I'd be able to pull it off did you?) You can choose from a myriad of activities to create a balanced workout for cardio, upper, and lower body. I haven't done it yet, I'm still battling it out with my trainer in 30 day challenge mode. I'm surprised that I've been sticking with it, surprised but happy. I love that I'm getting a good workout at home, without the hassle or cost of the gym. Though I'm pretty sure with the money I've spent in the past few years on DVDs and workout kits, may be enough to afford me a gym membership. I like the convenience of working out at home and the quick 20 to 30 minutes that it takes me. After this 30 day challenge with EA Sports Active, I think I'm going to try 30 Day Shred. I've heard a lot of good things about it and perhaps by the end of this 30 days I'll be in shape enough to handle something like that.

What about you fellow brides, are you trying to shape up for the big day? If so what are you doing and how is it working?

Tune in next time for more tales from a DIY bride.

No comments:

Post a Comment