Friday, June 19, 2009

My First Project!

I apologize dear readers (all four of you), but I've been down and out with the stomach flu after a weekend at FBIL and SIL's lake house last week. However, in my very restful state I decided to start working on some of my DIY projects, or at least buying the stuff for them. It's with all good intentions either way.


So today I went to Hobby Lobby and Michael's and spent way too much moolah for some of my projects. It's a little early for me to be starting some of these, but I wanted to get a feel for the projects I'm undertaking. So I bought supplies for a mock-up of my centerpieces, supplies for tote bags, earrings, and bracelets for my BMs, and supplies for making cuff links. I think I was a little over-ambitious, but my mind processed it and my reasoning makes a lot of sense. Right now I'm unemployed and only doing 3 classes this summer, I do have a lot on my plate, prepping for student teaching and all, but still free time is abundant. I figure before the wedding that might not happen because I'm going to have to have some form of a job, even if it's just a retail gig. Therefore, doing my projects now rather than later may save me from stressing down the line. (Though storing said projects may not be as much fun.) Yay for logical reasoning!

This was the first time I've ever tried to do anything crafty. Ever. At least with any amount of seriousness, not like that Popsicle stick house I built when I was 8. I decided that starting out small would be the best option, so I picked the BM's earrings to start out. The instructions for these came from a book called "The DIY Bride" by Khris Cochran, which is my Bible currently. She states that they are ridiculously easy drop earrings but I had little faith in myself. However, they were ridiculously easy, so easy that I ended up making a pair for every bridesmaid in about 30 minutes. I was a little afraid that I screwed them up because they were so easy, but when Mr. Tal came home he said they were beautiful. He was either trying to make me feel good or being sincere, I'll let you decide. [Mr. Tal's Note: I was sincerely making her feel good.] So here's the break down of the steps for anyone wanting to make these babies for a project.
Supplies needed: Your choice of Crystal Beads, Metallic Spacers, Faux Pearls, 3 or 4 inch Head Pins (depending on your size of beads, mine were small so I did 3 inch head pins), and Ear Hooks, as well as Needle Nose Pliers. All of which are pictured below: (I apologize for picture quality, I had to use Mr. Tal's iPhone, as our camera is packed in a box right now)

Step One: Place the crystal bead, then silver spacer, then pearl on the head pin, like so:
Step Two: With the pliers as close to the pearl as possible, bend the head pin to a 90 degree angle:




Step Three: Trim the excess head pin, I guess-timated, it was about an inch that I took off. Just make sure there is enough head pin left for step four.


Step Four: Use the pliers to form a nice little hook to pull through your ear hook.
Final Step: Loop the curved head pin through the ear hook, and close with the pliers. Voila, finished product:

Seriously, that's it. I think I have let the project go to my head a bit, I've tasted the craft nectar and it is so sweet. I'm ready for bigger and badder projects. In fact, Mr. Tal and I decided to try to make a mock-up of our centerpieces, it failed a little bit. Only a little. More on that next time.

So what do you think readers? What were your first DIY projects? Were they a success or failure, or somewhere in between?

Tune in next time for more tales from a DIY Bride.

2 comments:

  1. I like them so I would have to go with success.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really nice! I wish I was more crafty. If it involves designing it on the computer, I'm your gal, but when I actually have to do something creative with my hands and something other than a computer mouse, watch out. . . :-)

    ReplyDelete