Thursday, September 17, 2009

G is for Grrr, Grreat Idea that is!

I have been sick-which has put me behind workout and blogging wise, though there isn't much to write. This post is more me ranting than anything else, but maybe if I write it I'll feel better.

My mom and I attended a bridal show for funsies on Sunday, I was sick, so that might have had a bit of an affect on my view, which was negative. First of all they had these lovely little "Bride" stickers, which almost every show has, but it said something along the lines of "I'm the BRIDE and it's all about me." Umm, no folks, it's not. I'm the bride and he's the groom and this wedding is about us and our love for one another. Walking in it was amazing to see some of the beautiful table set-ups and the craziness of the vendors, but after about 15 minutes I had a major palm-smack-forehead moment, see we pretty much have everything covered and know what we're doing, we didn't really need to be at the bridal show. I did fill out some forms to win some stuff because I figured it couldn't hurt, I didn't win, but it was worth a shot. Another thing that irked me was on the way out the limousine company stopped and asked me if I wanted to take a look, when I politely declined, she asked me if I was sure. Yes, I'm sure, we aren't having a limousine. The horrified look I got was priceless. By the time my mom and I made it to the car I had a few retorts I wanted to share with the limo lady, but instead I'll share them with you. Why would I pay hundreds of dollars for a limo when my wedding party are more than capable (and willing) of driving ourselves? I realize some people dream of limos for their wedding and that's more than okay, but it wasn't for me. I would much rather have a day of coordinator so none of my guests have to worry about anything that day. The whole situation just made me angry, which lead me to the most fabulous idea I've ever had.

I told my mom that she and I should have an offbeat bridal show. We could team up with sites like Weddingbee and Offbeat Bride and share how to DIY, sell supplies, and raffle away gift cards to Michaels and Hobby Lobby. Our vendors could be student musicians and photographers, Etsy sellers and former brides and grooms. We could set up a bartering booth where people can match brides with vendors that could use the bride and groom's talents in exchange for their services. Seriously, how much fun would that be? I think it's genius, but I don't know how it would work in our area, might be better suited for larger metropolitan areas.

Would anyone be interested in my Offbeat Bridal Show? Or am I just a crazy dreamer?

Tune in next time for more tales from a DIY Bride.

No comments:

Post a Comment