Thursday, September 10, 2009

The Save the Date Dilemma

Once upon a time, I knew that I never wanted save the dates. I found them to be an unnecessary use of paper and my eco-friendly-self said I wouldn't need to kill anymore trees. Now I do realize there are some eco-friendly options out there but all these thoughts were prior to my actual engagement. When I actually got engaged I realized that most of our family and friends were spread all over the place. I also realized that our wedding date wasn't the most convenient of times. Friday weddings are becoming more and more common among brides, especially those on a budget, but it's still difficult on guests and I'm respectful of that. So when it came down to it, I knew that even though we had done a good job spreading the date through word of mouth, some little piece of paper with a reminder and a website would probably be helpful.

Then came the options...wow, there are so many different types of save the dates that brides can use. Magnets, postcards, cards, oh my, the options were pretty much limitless. We originally wanted to use magnets, we even priced the little kits and were ready to buy, but then came a fateful day when I logged into weddingbee. There I saw postcards and fell in love, luckily Mr. Tal agreed with me as well. We decided to design our own save the date postcards. This was both economical and a way we could get our own personalities into the mix.

We decided we want to get these babies out a little earlier than suggested in case people need or want to take the day off. In all honesty, I came home last night to work on the guest list with Mr. Tal and maybe find the website we would use to design the postcards. It turns our the guest list is really only a one person job once we got all the names figured out. I decided to grab my laptop and do a little more research, that's when I found http://www.zazzle.com/. I fell in love with the design template that the website offers and ended up designing a wonderful save the date postcard. We ordered 100 of them last night for $60, which I didn't think was too bad in comparison with most of the other save the date options we saw. I will post pictures of them as soon as they arrive but I can't post them today because they are now filed in my account.

Any one else decide on something they never thought they needed or wanted for their wedding?

Tune in next time for more tales from a DIY bride.

No comments:

Post a Comment