Monday, July 27, 2009

DIY FAIL

I've had my first DIY fail, I'm actually happy about it because I knew it was going to happen and I would rather it happen early so I can fix it. I headed to my parents house yesterday because I had some fume related projects that can't be done in my apartment. I had hoped that I could get the projects done quickly and then spend some time with my mom and sisters, but the day took a turn as soon as I got there. My mom and sisters wanted to hit up a local antique store for brooches and go grocery shopping. This ended up eating up most of the afternoon.

We got back home and got to work. I had two projects in mind for the day, pew cones and cufflinks. I only really wanted to spray paint the embossed wall paper I was using for the pew cones, so that got done quite quickly. We ran out of spray paint. Sad, but it's easy so I can buy some more and finish them a little later. Then we sat down to work on the cufflinks. This is where the DIY fail really happened, I had the bezel cups, the cardstock with the printed emblems I was using, all the supplies. I hole punched the emblems out and my sister glued them into the bezel cups, almost immediately my mom poured the resin into the bezel cups. Everything looked ok at that point, there were a few bubbles in the resin but that's about it. So I let them sit to dry and brought them home with me last night. I checked them this morning and well, the emblems are all blurry, like the ink ran. I think we should have let the glue on the paper and bezel cup dry first, also popping those little bubbles in the resin with a straight pin is important too. So I have a redo on my hands. No biggy, I'll post about the DIY success on the cufflinks in a later post when I actually am successful. The only thing I'm not looking forward to is the smell of that resin (gross).

How about you readers, any failed DIY attempts? Did you do a redo or just drop the project?

Tune in next time for more tales from a DIY bride!

No comments:

Post a Comment