Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Dragging my feet

As I sit here sipping my coffee and planning out my day, I'm thinking about all the things I have to do and how much I just don't want to do any of it. Okay, so working out won't be too bad once I actually get to the gym, cleaning will make me happy once it is done, and running some applications that could potentially get me a job is worth it in the end. But those are the end results, and right now I'm quite cozy on the couch, it's the getting going I have problems with. I'm a procratinator. There I said it. If it's not fun, I will put it off as long as possible. Final papers get done the last week of classes. Studying is done two hours before class starts. Housework is the odd anomaly because I will willingly dive in when I'm stressed out as it makes me feel better, but if I am not stressed I will wait until an hour before Mr. Tal gets home to get it done.

Wedding planning and crafting is no different for me. Dress shopping, I dove right in. I have been playing with my wedding makeup since we got engaged. The not so fun stuff, like getting my passport waited until Mr. Tal was ready to kick my butt (I finally got it last week). As far as crafting goes, if I like it I will work on it as soon as possible. Centerpiece mockups and the guys' boutonnieres were played with months ago because all that stuff is fun for me. I have a big pile of wedding crafts that need done that are so boring that I can't bring myself to do any of them. I have strands of garland that need wire hooks attached to them. I need to cut ribbon and string it through the lanterns. I have pew cones that need hot glued and strings added. I have silk flowers for the pew cones that need about a foot of stem cut off. See, really un-fun stuff. All this stuff is so important to the wedding day decor and it will be worth it when it is done it is just doing it that is the problem.

The worst part of my procrastination is that I feel guilty when I don't do it. Some procrastinators are lucky in that they don't ever feel guilty for not doing the things that they should. Not me, my procrastination comes with a big, heaping pile of guilt. The fact that I am writing this rather than cleaning makes me feel guilty. The fact that yesterday I took a day to myself rather than do wedding crafts makes me feel guilty. It's awful, but in a good way, because eventually the guilt will overwhelm me and I will do the things that need doing. Hopefully, soon enough guilt will pile on my conscience and I will get my boring craftys done.

Anyone else have the procrastination gene? Do you have the double-whammy of procrastination guilt?

Tune in next time for more tales from a DIY bride.

No comments:

Post a Comment