Friday, August 14, 2009

Flashback: How we met

My DIYing has come to a halt as of late, in reality there isn't much I can do, the wedding is about 8 months away and I start student teaching on Monday. I'm really happy with where I am at with my projects and progress with the wedding, however, that means blogging is going to be more difficult. It's easy to write about projects and progress, but what happens when you hit that slow patch in wedding planning? I've heard all about it, even dreaded it because I love it, it keeps me busy and sane while I'm unemployed. So I've decided that while my projects are slow and I'm busy with other things like teaching, I'll write about our relationship, vendors, and anything else that comes to mind dealing with this wedding! First up, how we met (cue the wavy lines and flashback music):

I moved to Toledo from a rinky dink little town about 45 minutes away from Toledo in the middle of July 2007. I transferred from my community college because I had finally decided what I wanted to do for the rest of my life and I wanted to complete my degree. This wasn't too big of a deal for me, I already worked in Toledo, I had friends in the area and my best friend from back home was going to be my roommate. Once we moved, we had a lot more time on our hands. The 45 minute commute turned into 10 minutes and we didn't start school for another month, so Miss Ann (my roommate) and I started going out with our Toledo friends and co-workers a lot more. We had already been joining them for a Thursday night special at a bar called Mutz for several weeks before we moved. It was karaoke night and so much fun. We would head there with our friend Miss C and her boyfriend Mr. S, usually a group from Mr. S' fraternity would be there and it was quite a lot of fun and mischief. Each Thursday we'd meet up and have drinks and sing the night away, often I'd flirt with some boys at the bar, trying to see if I could score a date. This was the first time I'd been single in 6 years and actually been able to date, I found out that dating is actually highly overrated after a date or two.

Finally, August 9th arrived when a guy named Mr. Tal walked into the bar and joined our group of 15 to 20. Miss C and I whispered back and forth about him for a minute when I inquired who he was, "Oh Mr. Tal is in Mr. S' frat, he is cool, really nice, you should date him." to which I responded, "Umm, no I'll pass," and made a little wrinkled up nose face. I can't remember why he was so unappealing to me that night, maybe because I had a bad date earlier that day. The next Thursday he showed up again, this time he peaked my interest a little, he could sing, he laughed a lot, and from what I heard he was a certified geek, my favorite kind of man. So after a few drinks I got brave enough to tell Mr. S to give Mr. Tal my number and then we got home and I facebook stalked him. (Creepy, but after the dates I had been on I needed some reassurance he was semi-normal). Four days later I sent him a message saying hello, he responded, saying he'd seen me out and about and inquired about me. He asked if I'd be at the bar again the following week so he could say hello in person. I responded with a yes, he responded with an inquiry about my plans for the following weekend. I was suppose to work but could get out of it if need be. He asked if I would like to go to the German-American Festival with him, I immediately gave up my shift as quickly as possible and told him I could go.

Thursday night couldn't get here quick enough, I was excited and nervous. I had said yes to a date with a guy I'd not even spoken to and barely knew, I needed to remedy this in the course of a night. As always Miss C, Miss Ann, and I arrived early and grabbed drinks, he wasn't there and I was sad. So we decided to all sing together, we picked Queen's "Somebody to Love," (Oh the irony). He showed up halfway through our song, I was ready to stop because I wanted to look cool but the show had to go on. After the song, he was sitting at our long table looking through the song book, Miss Ann and Miss C were coaxing me to go say hello but my liquid courage hadn't kicked in yet. Finally, I bit the bullet and walked over to the stool next to him and sat down. I think I said hey, he asked me to help him pick out a song since I had chosen such a great song to sing earlier. I don't think I ever did pick a song, but we sat and talked a bit, nervously trying to make a good impression. I was comfortable enough by the end of the night that I felt that we could go out on Sunday and have a good time.

Up next: The party, the cookies, and the sleepover. Followed by: The First Date.

How about you readers, any interesting "how we met" stories?

Tune in next time for more Tales from a DIY Bride.

No comments:

Post a Comment