Friday, August 28, 2009

I'm a little achiever

If you get the reference from my title I totally am high-fiving you through the internets. I have to say I'm quite proud of myself, I've gotten a lot accomplished this week, none of which is wedding related. I will say, if it weren't for the crafty skills I have developed the one project that happened this week, probably wouldn't have happened. See this weekend marks the very important second anniversary of my first date with Mr. Tal, it's the GAF, or German American Festival for all you non-Toledoans. This doesn't actually mean a whole lot, except the festival is this weekend and many a fraternal brother, sibling and friend treks back to Toledo for this shindig. This means we open up our apartment to whoever needs a place to crash. This year it's my best friend (and MOH) and her boyfriend, and was supposed to be Mr. Tal's brother and his girlfriend. I got really pumped about this and dove into planning mode.

The way our apartment is set up, we can sleep two couples pretty well, with one in the second bedroom and one in the three-seasons room, so long as the weather doesn't become too hot. This is when I decided to make our place themed like a B&B. Totally crazy with everything else on my plate right now, but it sounded fun. I went out and started to buy a few things, like some guest towels. Yeah, we don't have guest towels, found that one out the hard way. I got some snacks, mini-shampoo and conditioner bottles. Then I got a basket to make it like a little welcome kit. I bought some raw hide, a rope toy, and a squeaky toy for the couple bringing their dog. I got mini-bottles of sparkling wine and I'm getting some plastic champagne flutes. Then I put it all together and made it look all pretty. I'm a little sad that only one couple is coming now because I have these little baskets made, so I guess Mr. Tal and I will have one for ourselves. Poor brother Tal and his girlfriend couldn't make it this weekend, too many things to do and not enough time to do them...sad, I was really looking forward to some time with them. Anyway, I've got to also set up the room for MOH and her man and figure out the best placement for the "Welcome Basket." I may even be cute and print off some German phrases to put into the basket, but that might be crossing the cute line. I blame wedding planning, I doubt I would ever do this prior to thinking about guests needs and out of town bags.

At least now I've gotten a good idea of what the out of town bags will take, I need to scale it down tremendously, but it really made me think of what our guests will need and want when they are away from home. Those are a ways off, I'm not planning to do that until maybe two weeks before the wedding, but I like getting an idea of what should be in the bags and what people will want. It's really difficult for me because I like having a lot of stuff when I'm out of town. Mr. Tal says I like my home comforts and it's true, so I want to shower people with things they will need and want. However, our budget doesn't really allow for that, so I need to think of the basics. It'll come to me. Plus I have Mr. Tal to help me narrow down the list.



Any fellow brides have problems narrowing down supplies for the wedding? What did you do? How did you make it manageable?



Tune in next time for more tales of a DIY bride.

No comments:

Post a Comment