Saturday, August 22, 2009

Our Vedors: The Ceremony Site

I always knew I wanted to get married in a church, always. I loved the stone church in my hometown where I grew up with the beautiful archways and high ceilings. It felt holy and special, which was perfect for a wedding. When Mr. Tal and I decided to get married, this was one of the first things we talked about, my desire to get married in a church. The problem was that we lived in Toledo, it's a nice central point for both our friends and family to access easily. This made my hometown church out of the question, we needed to get married in Toledo, so the search began for the perfect church.

First we scoured the area for Lutheran Churches, because no matter how pretty a church it is, it wouldn't be so much if it killed our grandmothers. We found two, we started to go to one and felt pretty okay there, not super comfortable but it was nice, the pastor seemed nice, so it seemed decided. I should've known that if I didn't feel at home there that it wasn't the place for us, but I didn't, so we continued down that path for probably a month and a half. Then I actually had a conversation with the pastor via e-mail. He actually mocked my words, mocked them, it was horrible and humiliating. We were done. D-O-N-E, done. I don't deal well with condescension. We were also back at square one. This is when my mother, the God sent angel that she is, brought to our attention an opera house in a small suburb outside of T-town. We decided to go take a peek, couldn't hurt, right?

We walked into the Pemberville Opera House to behold this:



Picture courtesy of Pemberville Opera House Website
It's beautiful isn't it? And we felt at home the minute we walked in. It's perfect for us. A historical opera house, beautiful and classic. The historic aspect did it for me for me and Mr. Tal practically grew up in a playhouse so he loved it. Every inch of this place is fully restored from the original opera house that was used around the turn of the century. (The price was right too!) This picture really doesn't do it justice, but it's all I have right now. The rows seat five and they are the same seating used when the opera house was first opened, bonus is that they can be moved anyway we want to, which we played with today when we visited for decoration ideas. I wish I would've taken some pictures while we were there but I'll go out there again soon to get some more. I loved it even more today. My sister tested the acoustics for when she sings at the ceremony, it was so beautiful I was almost moved to tears. I'm so excited about this, it didn't turn out how I thought it would, but I'm happy with our ceremony site.

How about you readers, did your original plans come how differently? Better?

(I know the original plan was to finish the flashbacks but I have a plan for The Big Date post...muhahahaha! So I'll post it soon, promise, just want to wait a few more days.)

Tune in next time for more tales from a DIY bride!

No comments:

Post a Comment