Saturday, August 15, 2009

Flashback: The party, the cookies, and the sleepover

As I said in my previous post, with the wedding planning slowing down, there is not too much to write about at the present moment. While there are still many things I could share (vendors, wedding party, budget, etc.) with you readers I have a confession: I have a deep desire to be a Bee on Weddingbee. So I'm secretly hoping (okay, maybe not so secretly) that I'll be picked and at that time I will want something to post about on there. I'll continue posting little niblets here and there about the wedding planning because some things are still happening, like my mock-up of the new centerpieces and choosing soe vendor. However, I'll also be dispersing little stories along the way like my previous post about how we met, or today's post, "The Party, the Cookies, and the Sleepover."

Probably one of my favorite stories to hear Mr. Tal tell is the story of the first time he slept over at my apartment. I know, I know, you’re probably all thinking, that’s dirty, but it wasn’t like that, it was before our first "official" date even! I should probably let him share some snipets in here so one can get the whole story. Now cue the wavy flashback lines and some good flashback music…

The next night after karaoke night, there was a big party going down at one of the fraternity brother’s houses. Miss C, Miss Ann and I got the brilliant idea that we should stop by after we heard about it. Secretly, I was hoping Mr. Tal would be there so that perhaps we could break the ice a little more before the big date on Sunday. Thanks to Miss C’s quick thinking and some lightening fast text messages, we found that in fact Mr. Tal was at said party. (Insert 3 girls giggling here) We arrived to find Mr. Tal intoxicated…not exactly what I had in mind, but it was a frat party, not really sure what I expected. So Miss C, Miss Ann and I made the rounds, saying hello to those we knew, but Mr. Tal wouldn’t even look my way (I know now that he was nervous, however, at the time I was pretty upset). The party actually became pretty boring pretty quickly, even with some drinkies in me, Mr. Tal did say hi but he didn’t really say a whole lot more.

Finally, our little gaggle of girls decided that making cookies sounded amazing and we were going to leave. Mr. Tal overheard this and practically jumped on us to take him with us. In my head I’m thinking, dude, you’re drunk, how will you get home, luckily Miss Ann asked this and Miss C said, hey someone can bring him back to his car tomorrow…this is a bad plan, a very bad plan. After some logistics were figured out, we took him with us to the store and back to our apartment for some 2AM baking. Peanut butter cookies with Hershey kisses (mmm, I want to bake now!), while Miss Ann baked, Mr. Tal, Miss C, and I sat in the dining room and chatted while flipping through Cosmo, it was fun and weird all at once. Finally the cookies were finished (and some devoured) and sleeping arrangements had to be made. Mr. Tal insisted on sleeping on the couch, which didn’t make much sense seeing as both Miss C and Miss Ann had to get up early for work and they would end up disturbing him. So he slept on my floor. Weird.

The next morning it got really strange, because I didn’t really think about the whole, there’s-a-boy-in-my-room-and-I-have-to-take-him-home-thing. I was just jazzed that I got to talk to him a little more before our date. Then I woke up and realized he was there, I quietly snuck out of bed, got dressed, brushed my teeth and made some coffee. Then I waited and waited, and waited some more until finally he emerged from my room. This was probably the most awkward moments in our entire relationship because neither of us knew what to do. He finally asked if we could go get breakfast, so we went to Waffle House. Any attempts at conversations would end in a crashing halt, it was sad. Towards the end of the meal he asked me if I would mind going with him couch shopping. I couldn’t believe it, we didn’t really seem to be having a good time, but he still asked me to go with him, so we went couch shopping. Seriously, I helped him pick out a couch, he bought it that day and everything. Now I’m quite fond that couch because every time I sit in our living room I think about how that couch was picked out when we barely knew each other and things were weird and awkward. Eventually we found our way back to his truck and we awkwardly hugged goodbye and said we’d see each other tomorrow. That was it. I didn’t and still don’t consider this day we had together a date. It was more of a hang out session, an awkward, slow to warm up hang out session, but I love that story because it’s quirky and fun just like Mr. Tal (and me.)

Next up, The Big Date

How about you readers, did you have some awkward beginnings with your guys?
Tune in next time for more tales of a DIY Bride.

No comments:

Post a Comment