Monday, August 31, 2009

Cone Heads

"You know Connie, I read in a magazine that you can talk to me about anything." Ha-I have to watch that movie now, but I don't think we own it. How sad. Anyway, the real deal with the cones is for our ceremony site. Our beautiful, wonderful opera house needs very little to add to the decor which makes me a happy bride. It does need a little oomph, so in comes another DIY project. Luckily it is ridiculously easy! Yay for easy DIY! These cones will hang at the end of the aisle, alternating every other row.

List of supplies:
Roll of Embossed Wallpaper
Metallic Spray Paint (Gold or Silver)
Hole Punch
Hot Glue Gun
Tape Measure
Scissors
Ribbon/String/Wire
I don't have pictures for the beginning steps, but it is super easy.

Mark the wallpaper into 8.5 inches tall by 9 inches long. You may actually want these bigger or smaller, mine a just a tad smaller. Our seats aren't that big, play around with it. One roll of wallpaper goes a long way, trust me.
Cut the wallpaper into as many cones as you'll need. Lay them out and spray paint them. Wait for the pieces to dry.


This is my little pile of cones to be after they have dried.
Next, heat up your hot glue gun and practice rolling the paper into the cone shape. I had problems with this step, so Mr. Tal rolled and I hot glued the edge to maintain the cone shape. Voila, a cone like the one pictured below:



Then punch a hole at the top center point for your ribbon/wire/string, or in my case raffia. Like so:


Side note: Another hole towards the bottom of the cone could be helpful to stabilize it when you go to hang it, we're going to need to do this to all our cones because they aren't centered or stable when we hang it. Luckily we only made about two to test, so we don't have to redo all of them.
Easy peasy, you have some cones for your ceremony site. Add whatever flowers you want, I used a giant Gerber daisy from Michael's. It works well, I just needed to add some paper to keep it from sliding around. This is what the cone looks like finished with the flower. Sorry the one picture isn't vertical, we're having technical difficulties in the Tal household.

No comments:

Post a Comment